Designed by city surveyor William Haywood, Holborn Viaduct (otherwise known as Farringdon Street Bridge) was constructed between 1863 and 1869. Opened by Queen Victoria, its purpose was to provide a level connection between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.
The original lanterns, powered by the world’s first public electricity supply, were most likely lost during the Second World War, when both north bridge pavilions were destroyed. Since rebuilt in replica. Until recently, modern lighting, above shop entrances provided the only light to the highway under the bridge.
We worked closely with TfL and the City of London to agree and install traditional globe lanterns, echoing the style of the original luminaires and bridge architecture, which is now grade II listed.